not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Monday, March 22, 2010

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

-e.e. cummings

This morning a pudgy little bluebird was sitting outside the kitchen window when I came to make coffee. Precious little dude, such fine feathers. Leo and I put up bluebird boxes this weekend. Within an hour of putting them up, a bluebird was fluttering in front of one of them, window shopping I guess. He didn't go in. Rather, he sat on top of it.....considering the view perhaps? and then to a nearby branch to check out the neighborhood. I called the Bird Watchers' General Store this morning, concerned that no(bird)body had gone in the boxes yet. They assured me that it'll be a few more weeks before the birds get serious about nesting. Good to know.

Well, it's a new day, a new week. Leo and I are busy doing our civic duty with the US Census Bureau. That's right, "Census Sara" at your service. We are enumerators, going door to door here on the Outer Cape filling out questionnaires with people. It's fascinating. The characters, quirky and brilliant, all in their own ways, make us grateful that we're here. "Be where you are" is so easy when those around you inspire.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

Amen to that.


1 comment:

della said...

I can see you now out as "Census Sara". Try not to get too caught up in the stories of the people you are interviewing. Ask just enough questions to fill out the form but use your imagination to 'fill in the blanks'. I think I see a poem or short story in your future about someone you meet while taking a census.

On another topic, I saw a robin this past weekend in Grand Rapids. It was hopping around in the snow. A sure sign of spring, robins and bluebirds.