not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Monday, December 14, 2009

same same but different

So, I shaved my head the other day.

I've always wanted to but, there were always reasons that kept me from doing it. Friday night I had the clippers out and shaved Leo's head, and Erik's, and then I thought...I should do it...and then all those reasons not to began running like an annoying ticker tape through my mind. What I realized was that there will ALWAYS be reasons not to shave my head. I sent a text message out to a few people asking if they thought I should do it or not...the responses ranged and cracked me up but my sister Jessica said, I think you should do it. You've always wanted to....

Awesome.

Leo began the process, Erik video taped and took pictures. Then they switched. Lots of fun was had along the way. There was a mohawk, a mullet, a Joe Dirt moment which had Erik and Leo CRACKIN' up.


As the mohawk came off and I became really truly my shaved self, my mood shifted from goofy to reflective/awed at seeing my very own head....Wow....to put my hands on it and feel its shape. I took a small mirror and looked at my profile. Is it possible that I look even more like my dad than I did before?

Having a shaved head feels awesome. The water of the shower feels amazing. Laying on the pillow in bed feels cool. I rub my head a lot, because it's soft. I realize that hooded sweatshirts come in handy, and perhaps I need to learn how to crochet so I can make myself some beanies! I went to church yesterday and got lots of "Love your hair!" comments and one grandma who asked me, "Now, pardon me for asking but are you protesting something or are you receiving chemo?" I laughed and said, "Neither, I just did it because I've always been curious to do it." Her brows unfurled and she smiled a big smile and said, "Well you have a great head for it! I brought up chemo because I had chemo once and had to shave my head. Someone told me I looked like Annie Lennox and it made me feel fabulous. Good for you for doing it!"

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who don't like it. I'm fine with that. It's my head, not theirs so no harm done because I am lovin' it. I also love the fact that my brother and husband helped me do it, and that I am married to a man that says, "If you want to do it, you should do it!" Gotta love that confidence and unconditional love.


In other news, we called the Cape Cod Stranding Network this morning and the dolphin we spent the evening with on Saturday didn't make it. Ugh. It was worth the effort, that's all I can say. An amazing experience.

The sun is shining and I am crazy to go for a walk.

Love you guys and blessings to your day!

7 comments:

Eva Schoon said...

You look like one of your Dad's high school pictures!

I love it that you did it...
A great memory - loved the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your happy with it!!

I'm sorry to hear about the dolphins, but good for you guys for trying!

Love ya sista,

Alexis

Doug said...

Leo gave me a 'heads up' that you did the deed. I am ecstatic that all y'all have joined the fraternity of the shaven, including Zman. Julie, you're next baby!

I have implicit belief that I will live to see the cure for baldness, but I don't mind wearing out a few clippers in the meantime...

CMort said...

you both look beautiful.

KJBB said...

I love it. I love that you did it. I love that Leo was all for it. I showed your photos to Naia and we talked about Auntie Sara and her courageous spirit. Maybe one day Naia will do the same, although it might literally stop Jason's heart. :) Love & hugs, K, J, N & G.

Unknown said...

You look beautiful!!! Thank you for once again brightening my day and lifting my spirits with your words. Safe travels and lots of love!

xoxo,
Julie

g3 said...

ohhhhhhhhh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood i cant beleive thissssssssssssssss.....

but u loook cuteeeeeeeeeeeeee sis and mr.bro