not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Good morning! It's another sunny day here at the Cape, and cold. 25.7F to be exact. I stayed up wayyyyyyy past my normal body clock sleep time last night but I'm up anyway. Since we've been out here at the Cape, I have been craving to go to the church in P-town. It's an Episcopal church whose tag line says something like, where the Spirit meets the sea....or something similarly inviting...but P-town is another 20 miles, it's the town at the tippy tip and I have never made it there for Mass. THIS morning, though I am feeling super low energy, I'm going to where the Spirit meets the sea for the 3rd Sunday of Advent. The theme of the day (for lack of the appropriate lingo) is Rejoice. And I gottawhole'lotta that inside. I read up on the 3rd Sunday of Advent and the opening words of Mass this morning in most places will be: Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice; let your forbearance be known to all, for the Lord is near at hand; have no anxiety about anything, but in all things, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God.

I have a few of those requests and it's going to feel good to me to be there this morning.

So, before I get ready to leave, I have to tell you about last night. Erik Leo and I went on a sunset bay walk near our house (known in our family as the Canoe Walk because we keep our canoe down by the bay). It's a 3 miler, roundtrip and if you've ever visited, we've probably walked or jogged or both the canoe walk. Anyway, so we were walking, it was REALLY COLD, windy, we rounded the corner of the creek that opens to the bay and as we walked on, we discovered a total of 3 dolphins beached fairly high, and one of them was clearly still alive (!) As much as all three of us are drawn to animals, and large mammals are particularly fascinating, we only briefly looked at it before hauling our bundled selves to the nearest inhabited dwelling to call the emergency hotline for stranded mammals. After a few knocks at empty houses, we found someone who WAS at home and she agreed to call the hotline.

Seeing a dolphin struggling on a pile of snow-ice in the freeeeezing cold on the beach is....not cool. We were all pretty quiet on the walk home and all were walking a lot faster than we had on the way down there. When we got home, we called the hotline too just to make sure. The neighbor HAD called and they had sent someone out there to check it out. We jumped in the car and drove back down. By then it was dark, the stars were amazing by the way, meteor showers these days. We walked carefully along the beach back to our struggling friend. There was a volunteer there with it and she had called for reinforcements. The whole squad was coming, the ambulance and stranding crew....they were driving from Yarmouth so it would take awhile. We waited there until the crew arrived, about an hour and a half. The dolphin's predicament was awful, and we all felt pretty helpless, but at the same time, it was an honor to be freezing our arses off, to be there with that animal. When the ambulance and crew arrived, we left. We'll have to call them today and see what happened. They were either going to release it, or euthanize it, depending on blood work and vitals. What an experience. And it makes us want to sign up to be one of those volunteers! As awful as it is, if it's happening, you want to be there and help....

Off to P-town I go.

Send some good vibes to my friend Emily and her family today. Much appreciated. I'll be lighting a candle for your Uncle, and saying prayers for your Dad.

I'll let you all know if I learn anything about the dolphin.

Love and Light in all directions~

No comments: