not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Monday, February 25, 2008

bday part one

Last week Leo called me with a strange request. He asked me to buy 20 toothbrushes, toothpaste, and soap when I came down to Hikkaduwa on Friday. He said he'd tell me why later. So on Thursday night I went to the neighborhood grocery/gas station and bought out the oral hygene section and cleared out most of the soap. I learned through the course of the weekend that there was a special activity planned for very early Sunday morning, the birthday morning. I left it at that. Here are the pictures of Sunday morning, as I was experiencing it...
6:45 am: Making little bags of soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste...

7:15: Asanka arrives with t-shirts. WHY NOT on the front. MountainWave Tribe Surf Shop on the back. We all changed into uniform and got into Jora's van.
7:30: We stop by a house and pick up a bucket of string hoppers and a few big pots of curry, sambol, cake, and bananas. 
8:00: Driving jungle-side...pull into an old portuguese style house. It was a boys home. 
About 20 boys peeked out at us in their white shirts and blue shorts. We unloaded the goods into the dinning room. Boys all sat down at the table and in a quiet and heartfelt few minutes, Dimuthu Himali Mahesh Nalinda and Jora had served each boy a heaping plate of string hoppers and curry. 
As the boys ate, the caregiver said a special thank you to Mr. Leo Blandford for the special visit and food and wished blessings. Then cake and bananas. Then Leo handed out the little toothpaste, toothbrush, soap kits and each boy got to choose what color and size of t-shirt they wanted. 

I was taking a picture of the boys but they stopped me because they wanted Mr. Leo in the picture, so here it is. 

The tribe-vibe was in the air , we were all having that beautiful feeling. Many of you were there in spirit, for sure. 
 

Tomorrow I'll post pictures and a story of the opening of the MountainWave Surf Shop which happened right afterwards on the same morning.
 
Bear hugs from the Dawgies~

1 comment:

Christi Gast said...

I bet that was the best birthday party EVER!