not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Wednesday, November 07, 2007


Delicious dinner last night and a nice evening with a new friend and her daughter. I mentioned yesterday that she's from Vietnam. So, we had a total small world moment last night. SHE KNOWS MARCIE!! Mmmm, I love small world moments, especially when they're about precious loved ones.

Today was good. It was pretty rainy all day but I was feelin' pretty sunny in spite of the clouds. I went to my Sri Lankan office around lunch time for a few hours. It's in a seedy part of town, it's a narly sidewalk, it's stinky with rotting little garbage heaps every few feet. Today was even more fun because one of the manholes was overflowing....what to do....I spotted a monk in his maroon robes, siddled up and waited to see how he was going to cross the disgusting mess. He glided into traffic, which stopped for him, I stayed close enjoying the zen-wake of stopped and quiet buses and cars. We crossed the street together and walked for awhile on the other side before I had to cross back to enter the office. I had to walk through some nasty water...at least it wasn't deep...if my feet fall off, I'll know why. (i'm fairly sure that i'm just kidding)

Stayed quite late at the office tonight but I got a lot done. I have tomorrow and Friday off. Tomorrow is a special Hindu holiday called Deepavali, the "festival of lights". Deepavali is really the celebration of your Inner Light. Recognizing one's inner light allows it to outshine darkness, awaken to one's true nature. Deepavali celebrates this through festive fireworks, lights, flowers, sharing sweets, and worship. The story behind Deepavali varies from region to region but the basic meaning is the same - Rejoice in the Inner Light.

I love that.

We might not witness much festivity in Hikkaduwa since this is a Hindu holiday and there are not many Tamils in Hikka. I will light some candles tomorrow though, and remember many of you in prayer, being thankful for your precious lights in my life.

Peace,
Sara

2 comments:

Chaz said...

So, we won back the state Senate last night, so whenever you return, it'll be to a bluer Virginia.

CMort said...

hey sara, get a hold of me. chadmorton4@gmail.com i want to chat.