not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dear friends,

I ate steak last night. First time in about 8 or 9 years I think. Said a little "thanks cow" before tasting my first bite. It tasted like ground, like running, like fire. It was delicious for the first half, then my jaw got tired of chewing and I didn't want more. I saved the last morsel and gave it to the white dog sleeping against the tire of my car outside the restaurant. Why did I do such a thing you ask? Because my colleague Patric who has also been a non-meat eater for a long time has been feeling a little too "in the air" lately and thought he'd try a steak to see if it would bring him back to earth :) He asked if I wanted to join. Sure, why not. My doctor here has asked that I consider eating a bite of red meat once a week to up my iron but I haven't wanted to do it til now.

The morning after...I woke up this morning and felt fine stomach-wise and kind of She-Ra strong but I also had a feeling like I wanted to scrub my skin. I took a shower and scrubbed with a loofah sponge. Ahh, better. I'm not sure when or if it'll I'll eat steak again but it was nice last night. Patric on the other hand sent me a message this morning and said he'd gone to the grocery store and bought steak to prepare at home! Mmm-hm, well go on wit'cha meaty man self :)

The crows on the roof across the road are sitting together looking over the afternoon. They are pretty cute...One standing really close to the other. They take turns grooming each other and it all looks quite cozy from over here. Mr and Mrs CrowDawg.

In a few hours Jess will board her plane and begin the long journey to Sri Lanka. Yahooooo! Can't wait to see my sister.

The bells of a nearby temple are clanging and as always, to me they sound like church bells, and as always the knowledge that it's coming from either the Buddhist or Hindu temple down the road makes me smile. And in the spirit of that smile I offer the following words by Hafiz:

"Saints Bowing in the Mountains

Do you know how beautiful you are?

I think not, my dear.

For as you talk of God,
I see great parades with wildly colorful bands
Streaming from your mind and heart,
Carrying wonderful and secret messages
To every corner of the world.

I see saints bowing in the mountains
Hundreds of miles away
To the wonder of sounds
That break into light
From your most common words.

Speak to me of your mother,
Your cousins and your friends.

Tell me of squirrels and birds you know.
Awaken your legion of nightingales-
Let them soar wild and free in the sky

And begin to sing to God.
Let's all begin to sing to God!

Do you know how beautiful you are?

I think not, my dear"


To the west and east and north and south, and everyone and everything in-between, peace to you precious friends.

Sara



1 comment:

Doug said...

A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N. First about the steak...but, especially for your sis' arrival. Don't you love that emotion?