not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Germany, Switzerland, and being sick

Sara has been sick for the past week. It started out as a sore throat and mild fever then mutated into a full blown cold. I feel guilty, even though I didn't have a cold. I had a pretty bad fever, with body aches that ended after a week with a sore throat, a really bad sore throat for an additional 5 days. Sara thinks I had dengue, I'm not convinced. Now Sara's colleague's are sick too. Germs must use the humidity out here to their advantage. Sara was supposed to leave for Geneva today but postponed her flight until Monday morning. Her sinuses are all clogged up, making it really painful on flights with all the pressure changes. I might visit Geneva too. If I go I'll leave on Thursday. Summer time in Switzerland is supposed to be real nice.

I have memories of Switzerland in the summer. When my dad was stationed in Germany in the early 80's we took a family trip. Grandmama, Uncle Phil, Aunt Marsha, and Marsha's mom (I can't remember her name) were visiting us on their summer vacation. We all piled in our Ford Bronco and drove to Switzerland from Germany. Uncle Phil sat in the back with us rug-rats and the luggage. I don't remember a whole lot but I do remember picnics off the autobahn, coo-coo clocks (we bought so many clocks we all got free Swiss Army knives with our names engraved on them) and my dad, sick in Switzerland with a fever, so he didn't get a knife. He was a little upset we forgot to get him one, but since his middle name is Leo we shared. We shared it so much I think I hid it from him. It remains hidden to this day. Some might call it lost, I think of it as a treasure waiting to be remembered. I also remember my mom taking Zach's knife privileges away after he cut his thumb testing the sharpness. He cried more from losing his knife than the cut. It was a good trip. I guess summer time in Switzerland can be real nice. Hmmm...it's weird how dusty memories are stirred. I hadn't thought about that in years, all because of Switzerland and being sick. Oh yeah, and Germany, the plan is to visit Jessica and Anthony in Germany for a couple days too (they don't know I might be coming yet). They just had a baby girl, Alethia, and they live close to Frankfurt, so a layover was arranged on the flight back to Sri Lanka. They are doing youth ministry on military bases: Anthony and Jessica's blog. It'll be fun to see them.

And so memories of the past come round full circle with the present.

I haven't really been excited about going to Geneva. Too much ocean in my blood to be excited about leaving. The surf season here has switched from the west of the island to the east for 6 months. I haven't been to the beach in over a month and I'm getting really antsy to surf over in Arugum Bay. Rumor says it's the best surf spot on the island. I haven't been there yet and I'm eager to test the theory. Sara thinks I should wait until August. (After the trip to Geneva Sara's cousin Andreas is planning to visit us from Norway for a couple weeks or else I would go in July.) It pains me to even think about waiting so long.

But the mountains can have the same affect as the ocean and I could take a trip to the Alps.

Waves in Arugum Bay are said to be ridable for 300 meters, in surfing terms; "a totally awesome wave dude."


Who wouldn't want to frolic in these pastures like Julie Andrews? Makes me want to sing just thinking about it; "The hills are alive with the sound of muuusic..."

Sara suggested we take the mountain out of MountainWave when I shared my thoughts about not going. Yeah, that's not a good idea but writing all this has invigorated me with thoughts of European summers and the Swiss Alps. Geneva's not so bad, could be a lot worse. I guess I will go. I'll go with newfound vigor.

Whew, some decisions in life are tough.

Thanks for hashing it out with me.

MountainWave Dawgs...over and out.

1 comment:

Mark Blandford said...

Leo, I was catching up on your blog, and was amused by your tale about the summer vacation with your folks, Grandmama, Phil & Marcia, and June (Marcia's mom's name BTW). Then I realized, as I was reading it, I am sitting three feet from where your Grandmama'a Swiss clock would hang for many years! This is what I consider one of the perks of living at the "home place." I was just sitting out back in the twilight, not believing the blessings that have been bestowed to me. You guys take care.

Uncle Mark