not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Thursday, May 03, 2007

MAY

Leo and I went south for a few days of surf and celebrating birthdays of our friends Lynn and Patric. The sea was quite rough but we went to Weligama, a gentle little cove so I could keep practicing and build my courage and basic skills, even though the season is just about over on this side of the island. Leo stayed out of the water the second day of surf and caught a few pictures:

I stood up lots and lots of times. Mama would've been proud. All was going fine until I decided to go out deeper where the waves were bigger. I turtle-dove a double crashing wave and the wave was so powerful that despite me holding the board to my body tight, my board was ripped from my arms and I was pushed down. I relaxed into it, knowing the pushing down would ease in a matter of seconds. When it did, I swam to the surface for air, and just then I felt a blow to the side of my face. My board came back to me and left quite a nice mark on the right side of my face. I wasn't sure if I should shake it off, if I was bleeding or not....I was having too much fun to come back in...I got on my board and just laid my head down on it for a second to rest and when I lifted my head I saw a few drips of blood. I reluctantly paddled back in. "Am I bleeding?"......Leo nodded.

I don't get HURT very often. This baby's gonna leave a nice little scar under my eyebrow for sure. Right now I have a little purple sunset look to my eye. I don't mind....gotta wear it with pride right? I GOT IT SURFING afterall. If you're going to get a shiner, might as well be having the time of your life when it happens.

That afternoon we went to our friend Lynn's place and stayed a couple glorious days. Pictures of that to come in the next few days. I have one good picture of Leo in the pool though:


So....it's MAY :) I came home tonight after going to the gym and Leo had turned the calendar. Last month was STRENGTHEN. This month is a new message, a new mantra to lead us through our days:


VOICE.

I think of a song written by James Weldon Johnson over one hundred years ago called Lift Every Voice and Sing. It was meaningful then, it's meaningful now....a proclamation offered in May 2007:

Lift every voice and sing, till earth and Heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of liberty;

Let our rejoicing rise, high as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.

Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;

Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

That's all from the Dawgies tonight. Love y'all. Peace and hugs to each of you.

1 comment:

Chaz said...

Hey girl, you know that song is the Black National Anthem?