not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Monday, April 03, 2006

Fat Cat Fishing (Watch the video)



Watch the video

Erik and I arrived in Bangkok around March 1st, and we knew we wanted to go fishing at some point. Normally when I think of Bangkok a lot of images come to mind the last being fishing, but low and behold there is a fishing hole just on the outskirts of the east side of the city. The footage from the video was Erik's second excursion to his somewhat secret spot. Originally, he had a hard time finding the fishing hole due partly to language barriers. In Erik's own words here's his story:

"I was in South Thailand about 5 years ago and met a Swedish guy who was talkin junk that he caught like 20 giant catfish in one day there in Thailand....I found em', a bunch of em'.... 5 years later...So there I am recovering in my $10 dollar a night guesthouse in Bangkok(AC and cable included) when I decide to go on the hunt...I knew somewhere not so far out of the city of Bangkok there was a big lake, with big fish.. There was only two problems, one I didn’t know what the name of it was, and two I didn’t know where it was. So after a week of looking at maps and searching the internet for a big lake with big fish near Bangkok...no luck...bummer. Time for a cold Heineken... As I was on my way down the street a Thai dude came up to me and asked me where I was going.. not feeling like talking to him I told him I was goin catfishin'. "ahhh big fish in Bung sam lan!" "What?!" I said about jumpin out of my skin.. ya to make a long story short, I found out where this place was by a guy sitting in the street.. go figure.. so he flagged down a cab and explained the place to him... it took about an hour by cab.. my cab driver was crazy, he kept smackin himself upside the head while he was driving.... FINNALY we got there. After a bit of foolin around I was fishin!!! a funky mix of stuff, bread crust mixed with coconut milk and some kind of fish paste..." (Excerpt taken from http://www.goskydive.blogspot.com/ “Who needs a fishing guide?”)

Fast forward to March 2nd or 3rd, and there we are on east side of Bangkok and we flag down a taxi and tried to tell the driver where we wanted to go with no luck. I butchered the pronunciation of the lake, I think we both did. The driver had no idea where we wanted to go, so, instead of telling the driver where we wanted to go Erik just got out his digital camera and showed pictures of himself with the catfish he caught on his previous trip. The taxi driver, with a huge smile on his face, took us straight there.

If pictures are worth a thousand words, then prepare yourself for this vlog novel.

Video sidenote: In the intro Erik spills his beer then casts his line and it breaks, hence the groans and laughter.

2nd video sidenote: Also worth mentioning, all the catfish were released (relatively unharmed) and all the pictures are of different fish.


No comments: