not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Sunday, February 17, 2013

It is so easy to confuse power and authority.

Authority belongs to those
with the character, the wisdom and the compassion to command it.
Power is only authority's cheap substitute,
claimed on the basis of ascendancy
and held only by virtue of force.

The world looks for authority
and is too often kidnapped,
hijacked or tricked by power.

Power lasts only as long as force lasts.
The authority that comes
with just being yourself
lasts forever.

-Joan Chittister from God Speaks in Many Tongues


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice words

Alexandria said...

Nice post! This is a great quote that I haven't really thought of before. The difference between power and authority is interesting to me. For awhile I just thought of them being the same thing. This quote has made me think about people who are bosses in the work area and if they are of authority or power. In my opinion having authority is much better than having power over something. The end of the quote is probably my favorite. I like when things encourages others to be themselves and how valuable that can be.
What do you think about Joan Chittisters view on authority vs power?

Keep up the cool posts!
-Alexandria