not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Thursday, February 03, 2011

City yearn


I love where we are, way out here on Lands' End...and yet I've been gettin' the city-yearn lately. We have friends in Concord, Mountain and Erin, and a friend in Boston with whom we'd love to chill more regularly, and just to walk on sidewalks that are hustling and bustling with humans speaking different languages, young and old, black and brown and white, cafés, lectures, concerts, readings, signings, museums would feel stimulating and wonderful.

I was thinking this two nights ago as I was driving home. And a conversation with Emily came back to me. She said, "some people live in the city and go to nature to recharge their batteries and other people live in nature and go to the city to recharge." While I go around thinking that I'm in that second group, I wondered for a moment if I'm perhaps in the first group, just on an extended retreat....Hmm.

I pulled into our driveway. Got out of the car and I was met by the most beautiful sky. The naked sky only reveals itself in nature, so many more stars, it takes your breath away....and as I was standing there looking and loving and feeling so FULL inside, two owls began a conversation. This is where I live...

Yeah....I'm definitely in the second group. A city visit is on the agenda as soon as my school schedule allows but I am happy as a cape cod clam right where I am.


1 comment:

della said...

I'm working on that Paris thing. Maybe that will help with the 'city need' but until then, a trip to Boston might help. I too, love cities but don't think I could live there all the time. I am going to Chicago in Feb. for a visit so I will see the city this winter.