not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Sunday, February 07, 2010

The hawk



Along my path the other day, I came upon a most majestic Red Tailed Hawk. He saw me. We looked at each other. To my great pleasure, he stayed where he was for quite awhile and graciously allowed the attention.


I've had a special connection with birds of prey going back to school days starting with a dream I had, a very powerful dream about an eagle. Nothing really happened in the dream except it looked at me, looked into me and I felt like it knew me better than anyone. One of my animal totems, someone told me, and that whenever I see one, I should give thanks. When my dad died this summer, the very moment he died, I heard the unmistakable high pitched call of such a bird from outside. All of this memory and meaning were part of the time I stood the other day, as wrapped as I was in the awe of the moment. And I got the distinct impression that the creature of my affection knew all about it.....

3 comments:

della said...

I went walking out to get the Sunday morning paper and heard the rat-a-tat-tat of a woodpecker. I think it was Sara saying 'Good morning'

emily said...

witnessing this divine connection and retelling.

karen said...

Wandered on to your blog today, and enjoyed your writing. Especially loved this one. Love the way God works, and let's us know, he's aware of who we are, and where we are, in life's moments.