not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Well, Christmas is right around the corner. The tree here at the Cape is up but it's about to come down. We knew that we'd only have it for a short time but it was worth it. We hadn't seen our Christmas decorations in 5 years. There is something very grounding for me in decorating my own space and I haven't done it in awhile. And to have the coziness of the lights and the memories of the ornaments the past several days has been really nice.

In a few days, we will make the 14 hour drive to Michigan and with that comes the inevitable dividing up time between households. O the blessing and o the challenge of having multiple families. I am super thankful for the families I have. Especially this year. It's just that parceling time sucks. There's no other way to put it. This morning I got pretty wound up inside about Christmas plans, about how many days here and there. Everything more electric than normal because it's the first Christmas without my Dad. I could feel my heart squeeze up and my mind start reeling. I remembered the sermon from Sunday, Prepare yourself for Christmas. I remember the minister talking about getting ready for Christmas and how getting ready is not the same as FINISHING. Finishing the decorations, finishing the shopping....Getting ready, in the true sense is not about finishing at all, but rather slowing down, stilling the busy-ness, quieting our minds, bringing our truest best selves to the present moment.

That message was so for me. I need that reminder. Not so much for my Christmas tasks of shopping, etc. I don't get too nuts in that department (Leo might disagree!). But I do get a little nuts inside about the whole time thing. My mind gets busy with unhealthy and negative ticker tape chatter. And I need to remember that the best thing that I can do, my most important task as these days unfold is to quiet myself, be still inside so that I can be present where I am. A few hours here, a few days there. I can't be in 12 places at once, or even two. I can and I need and I want to show up where ever the days find me, fully present, not frazzled, still and peaceful and READY....to give and receive, to be family, to be able to immediately tap into that goodness and comfort that comes when I'm surrounded by tradition and tribe. There are few things as precious as that.

So, that's where I am on this windy, sunny winter day. Blessings to you where you are, and to your preparations for the holidays.

Light, love, and peace~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen, amen, sister.

love, em