not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Sunday, April 19, 2009



Halleluiah by Mary Oliver

Everyone should be born into this world happy
and loving everything.
But in truth it rarely works that way.
For myself, I have spent my life clamoring toward it.
Halleluiah, anyway I'm not where I started!

And have you too been trudging like that, sometimes
almost forgetting how wondrous the world is
and how miraculously kind some people can be?
And have you too decided that probably nothing important is ever easy?
Not, say, for the first sixty years.

Halleluiah, I'm sixty and even a little more,
and some days I feel I have wings.

I take in the essence of that poem, the spirit of gratitude in it and the trudging.....and the wings....and I love it. I picture us, you and me, pausing on our life-walk, and looking up for a moment, and remembering how wondrous the world is, and how miraculously kind some people can be....and we grab hands and start walking again, with smiles. 

Blessings to your day~




1 comment:

Sarah Murphy-Kangas said...

Love this poem! Is it new? This Mary Oliver fan hasn't heard it yet. Thank you.