not all who wander are lost

not all who wander are lost

Friday, September 19, 2008

While we were in Seattle, Emily and I exchanged Mary Oliver gifts. For me, a book of poems, new ones for me which I look forward to sharing with you--moving my soul as they do~
For her, a CD of Mary reading her poems, a treasure I found in Provincetown in July. To hear a poet's voice, reading her own spirit words...(smiling)

We Dawgs are in Tahoe with Leo's best friend, Justin and wife Lori where we'll be for a few more days before pushing off for more nature time. Haven't seen Justin and Lori since our wedding 5 years ago so it's nice to share space and catch up for a few days.

So, a Mary Oliver poem for the day....

Messenger (from Thirst)

My work is loving the world
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird-
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be a mind and a heart
and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Sara,, my deep and sleepy dug-up clam, thanks for the update. Give Justin and Lori my best, would you? I meant to say hi to Emily, so if you are reading Emily...I mean it.

The boyz and I are digging the perfect temp at the moment and every door and window in my house is taking breaths and Shadow is in and out of the house at the same time he is so stoked to be free. Shadow says, "Let's mozy on over to the mall and mack on some fes!"

Life is good